Thursday, August 30, 2007

What happened that day...

When I typed that entry Wednesday morning, I did not know what would be happening that day. I knew I had some major homeschooling questions and decisions to wrestle with but I did not know that my husband would receive a call from the dermatologist. I did not know she would tell him that a mole she had removed from his arm and sent to the lab was very atypical and more skin would need to be removed. I did not know that I would hear the word "melanoma" and feel a terrible, throat choking fear. Before we got more information, the words from yesterday morning came back...."What happens today - let us be assured of this - is meant, in the purpose of our loving Father, to make us holy in every part." I felt steadied and held.

It is not melanoma. But it shares some characteristics with that cancer. More surgery will be done in mid-October. His arm will be sore and he'll go back to the dermatologist more frequently from now on.

A word to the wise...wear your sunscreen. If you have young children, put sunscreen on them. Do not, do not, do not even think of going to a tanning salon. (I don't think many of my readers would, but you never know!) Many of us baby boomers who went to the beach and laid out in the sun before the days of SPF 45 are showing up in dermatologist's offices with the effects of years of childhood sunburns. Please protect your children. My big boys slathered on sunscreen before their soccer game yesterday.

And another word to the wise who know that the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom. He truly does use everything in the lives of those who are called according to his purposes for good. Everything. Good. I am so confident of that, even when the fear grips and the tears flow. I am also confident that we walk by faith and not by sight. I do not know what will happen the rest of today or tomorrow or the next day. But I will keep walking, my eyes on Him, daily desiring to be more of a saint than the day before.

"Now may the God of peace himself sanctify you completely, may your whole spirit and soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of the Lord Jesus Christ. He who calls you is faithful; he will surely do it." 1 Thessalonians 5:23,24

5 comments:

Melanie said...

I TOTALLY agree with this post! I have to go to the dermatologist very frequently because of my skin issues. I've had the call that Coty had at least 3 separate times - and one of my moles did have pre-cursor melanoma cells (beginning stages). It's scary. Very scary. I check my moles very frequently and have had at least 15-20 removed. I'd rather have scars than cancer. Anyway, I'm VERY aware of my exposure to sun and will be so with my children.

Again, I agree with the sentiment you put in this post and will do my utmost best to protect my family from the sun!!!

Kelly said...

A great reminder, Beth. My white-as-white-can-be kiddos need a lot of slathering up...

I'm so glad Coty went when he did! Praise the Lord for His mercies, and for His tender mercy toward you for relating a lesson on a small level before it was tested with a big one...His timing is perfect, as always.

ed elliott said...

I love how you express your invincible trust in the sweet, omnipotent Sovereignty of God,
Uncle Eddie

Stacey said...

beth,
i relate as well! i have had a few moles removed that were just "abnormal" over the years. recently, i had 4 removed that were bothering me and one came back with skin cancer, however, not melanoma. they say it's not a big deal, but you never like to hear THAT word! so i have a few stitches in my head right now that will be removed this friday and they say that will be the end of it. but i continue to go every year to get those dreaded checks.
praying for you guys during this, thankful to the Father for His mercy and your attitude!!
stacey lanier

tonia said...

Yes ,indeed. Thank you for the reminder, Beth.