Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Right Sacrifices

Tuesday morning's reading took me to Psalm 4 where I read:
"Be angry and do not sin; ponder in your own hearts on your beds, and be silent. Offer right sacrifices, and put your trust in the Lord."

How often I fail to obey those verses. How often I let my anger or agitation lead to brooding in my own heart. How often I awake in the night, and instead of hearing the 2 AM call of the barred owl in the woods by the stream as a call to prayer and silence, I choose instead to brood and fret over some troubling affair of the day. The pondering of Psalm 4 leads to rest in God, silence; troubled brooding leads to noisome thoughts of rebellion, cynicism, and fear. The remedy is so clear and so simple to understand, but so doggedly hard, in my sin to do, day in and day out. Offer right sacrifices, trust in the Lord.

What are those right sacrifices? Surely obedience, thanksgiving, praise, our bodies, good works and generosity, love.

Though we've never met, and only communicated by email once or twice, I think of Ann as a friend. I read her posts everyday. Tuesday morning when I visited her blog, Anne had captured for me the essence of how in our brokenness, we offer the sacrifice of love. You may want to read her whole post, but here is a small section:

How does a broken mother parent in a home of brokenness? As He does. Bend down to gather up the broken. Draw close our fractured (raging, selfish, stubborn, proud) beloved ones. Forsake fixing. Love the wounded, kin of our own brokenness, the fruit of a fallen, skinned world. And pray for Jehovah Rapha, Healer, to come to “bind up the brokenness of His people” (Isa. 30:26). He, and He alone, can fix the “broken cisterns that can hold no water” (Jer. 21:13).

I want to ponder and practice - obedience, praise, thanksgiving, good works - to offer myself, my loving from a broken, contrite heart. Right sacrifices. Trust. And then joy.


A note about my Bible reading plan:
I have told several folks lately that I just finished my one year Bible reading plan...in a year and a half! So, now I am starting a new plan. I feel very strongly that having a plan is important. If I didn't, I probably would not be nearly as consistent in my reading. Because I have one, I never wonder what I should read each day and I am very often amazed at how the planned reading for each day is exactly what I needed for that day. So, if you aren't using a Bible reading plan, I strongly recommend it. Check these links for a couple of options:

Coty designed this Bible Unity reading plan several years ago. It is mainly a chronological reading plan. This is the one I just finished.

This is what I'm using now, which is the Discipleship Journal Bible reading plan used by Bethlehem Baptist Church.

4 comments:

Ann V.@HolyExperience said...

Beth?
God uses you.

"Offer right sacrifices, trust in the Lord."

What a pleochroic truth!

Warmly,
Ann

Beth said...

Pleochroic...hmmmm???? I had to look it up. For any of you other comment readers who may not know this word, it means characterized by the property of certain crystals of exhibiting different colors when view from different directions under transmitted light. Great word - very apt. Thanks, Ann.

Samantha said...

Beth I'm really blessed by your postings :)

tonia said...

Dear Ann..."pleochroic" ?

*grin*

(I'm going to use that in an email to her and see if she's impressed.)

~I was just reading this morning about how the Lord does not desire burnt offerings but the sacrifice of thanksgiving. (Ps.50) Oh, I have so much to learn!

I, too, have found that a plan is necessary for me to be successful with Bible reading. I just need a framework to keep me moving or I wander aimlessly all over.

Thanks for the links, I'll check those out.