Saturday, July 14, 2007

Fuchsia (yes that's how you spell it - I looked it up) salad



Last night as we sat down to dinner, the doorbell rang. Our friend, Gretchen, walked in and immediately, upon spying the contents of the blue pottery bowl said, "Fuchsia!! Wow, what is that?!"

It was a beet salad, and if you like beets, you'll love it. If you don't like beets, you can do what Gretchen said she'd do, "Just look at it and digest."

Here for Amber,who asked for the recipe, is the how-to:
Boil 2 or 3 fresh beets til you can poke a fork in them.
Take out of the hot water, run cool water over them and get ready for the fun part. If you've never peeled a beet, you just pick up the beet in your hands and sort of squeeze it. The peel will come slip-sliding off and you'll end up with a lovely peeled beet and pink stained hands. Never mind, it will eventually wash off!
Next, chop the beets into medium size chunks.
Add enough yogurt to cover, a handful of coarsely chopped walnuts, a tablespoon or so of brown sugar, and a few snips of fresh dill. Refrigerate til chilled.

I found a few other recipes for beets here. I'll be trying the Roasted Beets with Blue Cheese Sauce and Spiced Walnuts next. And I think I'll plant more beets when it's time for fall planting!

1 comment:

Amber Benton said...

That is bright, Beth! Thanks for posting the recipe for me. I came across several other interesting beet recipes in my Moosewood this evening and so maybe beets are in my future for the fall, too...