Thursday, June 21, 2007

A great dinner and the day ahead...

The dinner was great. Andrew did a superb job frying the cornmeal dipped green tomatoes. And since my tomato frying son also works at a well known bakery that often has excess goodies, we dined instead on whole grain bread, which admittedly was NOT as good as my biscuits, and chocolate raspberry cake, which made my brownies taste, in comparison, like cardboard.

If we eat in the next couple of days, it will be a less exciting. I'm trying to clean out my fridge since since the boys leave soon. Hmmmm, what can I do with leftover spaghetti, carrots, cabbage, and Korean BBQ sauce???

I can't believe how much we still have to do before the guys are ready to go, but Lord willing, they will leave with enough underwear to make it through, passports so they can enter foreign countries, and journals so they can record what happens. I guess most places, even Burkina Faso, you can get pretty much anything else that you forget. Which just reminds me that I forgot to pick up their malaria medicine from the pharmacy yesterday. Oooops. Add it to today's list.

At times like these, I am tempted to go into frantic, frazzled mode. I am not a nice person when I get that way. I don't like to operate in that mode and my family doesn't enjoy it either, so I am taking steps to avoid pre-trip panic. The most important thing for me is to begin my day with the Lord, sticking to my regular Bible reading plan and committing each moment of the day ahead to him in prayer. Then I have to be aware when I begin to move faster and bark commands. If I hear myself doing that, it's time to stop, breathe, and pray for God to reign and calm to return, for my focus to be on Him, not on the pile of laundry. Crazy Mom with her peace shattering agenda is put in her place and the suitcases get packed. We even enjoy each other in the process.

No comments: