Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Memorial Garden

Walk down the steps between the beds at the entry...



through the old iron gate...



and then make sure you slow your pace. You must stroll at least two or three times around the garden...



lingering at the waterfall to watch the birds.





Take in the wide sweeps of color...



and look at plants thoughtfully juxtaposed.



Look closely...



consider individuals...



and masses.



Inspect tree trunks...



curving rock borders....



and the play of sunlight and shade on blossom and leaf.



Whatever you do, make the time to go, and then take plenty of time to enjoy this treasure.



After your garden visit (and if you don't live near Concord, I hope you'll find a beautiful garden to visit this spring), go home and read Luke, Chapter 12. That's what I did. While I was in the garden, I kept thinking about words from this chapter, "Are not two sparrows sold for a penny?" and "Consider the ravens" and "Consider the lilies". It is good to consider these treasures of nature, gifts from a loving Creator God. It is even better if your considering leads you to value the One who is the greatest treasure of all, Jesus Christ. The garden is beautiful. It is glorious, but it pales in comparison to His incomparable beauty and glory. I am thinking a lot about that while I enjoy the delights of spring.

6 comments:

Melanie said...

The garden is simply breathtaking! I love the dogwoods and tulips. I could have spent hours in there! I hope to find a garden around here to enjoy, though we have not yet fully peaked in our blooming season. I think we're still a week or two away.

Wonderful pictures, by the way! You must have chose a handy camera!

Jayne said...

Wow! We are going asap!
Thanks for sharing that.

Nicole said...

I can't wait to go on Saturday, and then probably again on Monday!

amanda said...

These are aMAzing pix, Beth. I want to go there! Seeing and smelling spring everywhere, I've been thinking how much I miss the Minnesota Landscape Arboretum.

Josh and Dana said...

wow...this post is almost as good as going there. You have such an eye for beauty, but also great expression of what you enjoy. I'll keep going to back to this post, I'm sure.

jen Unsell said...

Thanks for posting these pictures Beth. I have never been and hope to make it in April sometime. The garden is beautiful! Sounds like it's time to read Hannah in the Time of Tulips again.