Monday, February 12, 2007

Stones and Pebbles



Well, since Coty mentioned Ebenezer Stories in yesterday's sermon, and people have asked for the link or told me they lurk, perhaps I should write more often - or at least more regularly. But I must admit that blogging has its challenges. How to make the time to write, what to write about, how much of family life to share, what “fits” in this blog? I’m not sure that what I write is always worthy of a place on a blog called Ebenezer Stories. If you have read the original post, you know that the intent of the blog was to record stories that remind us of God’s faithfulness. I wanted to write about things in my own life, and the lives of others, folks I know and folks I’ve read about, past and present that remind me of God’s faithfulness and His day to day leading.

So, how do recipes and stories of soccer games, garden pictures and a son’s movies remind me of God’s faithfulness? A few scriptures will help:

Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows. James 1:17

And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him. Colossians 3:17

So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God. 1 Corinthians 10:31

Everything I have is from the Father and everything I do, except sin, can potentially be done in the name of Jesus, giving thanks to the Father for the resources and abilities to do these activities. My joyful affirmation of this truth enables me to live – to eat, drink, cook, dig in the dirt, plant a garden, make a movie, celebrate a birthday, choose a college, homeschool, knit a hat, read a book, memorize a poem, watch a sunrise, even hang out laundry - to the glory of God. And then, as I recall the varied stories of our days, mundane or monumental, I am constantly reminded of God’s faithfulness. Even a recollection of a walk in the woods becomes for me an Ebenezer stone.

So, I will keep writing about whatever is going on around here. I suppose some of the events I chronicle should more aptly be called Ebenezer pebbles! But whether stones or pebbles, they are reminders of our awesome, big, powerful, sovereign, always faithful God – who leads us everyday.

So, if you're a new reader, welcome. "Hitherto hath the Lord led us."

1 comment:

Amber Benton said...

We need all of your stones - boulders, rocks, pebbles, and even the grit! Thanks for writing and sharing so much.