Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Starting a new study


Our women's daytime study group from church is beginning the study of a new book today. We are reading Love that Lasts: When Marriage Meets Grace and will spend the next few months reading, discussing, and applying the biblical truths about which the authors so compellingly write. I was pleased then when I read one of my favorite blogs, titus2talk, this morning, and found the following quote in a post on the discipline of love:

How can husband and wife live happily in their wedded life? Wedded happiness is a lesson that must be learned. No two lives brought into this close relation can blend into one without self-discipline. "Marriage is the beautiful unfolding of many years."

Ofttimes it takes a long while for a wedded pair to learn the lesson of living happily together. They are discouraged because such love as theirs does not yield perfect happiness from the very first day. It always costs to learn the lesson. The block of marble must wane, as the statue is sculptured and grows. There must be the cutting away of much in both lives; there must be restraint, self-denial, self-effacement, while they are being trained to live one life rather than two. Love is always discipline.


How true. These are great words to share with a group of mostly younger women but also words that I need to hear. I am thankful for these women who are willing to submit themselves to the discipline of love in order to build Godly marriages that picture Christ and the church. And I'm very much looking forward to the next weeks of study together with them.

3 comments:

Amber Benton said...

Home from a wonderful day and I sat down to read while nursing Joseph before bed. I began reading your quote outloud to David - he'd already read it!

ed elliott said...

Amen. Lindele and I have been together for 29 years, with 16 years of marital bliss ;-)

WHO one marries is soooooooooooo important.

jen Unsell said...

*Sigh*
I wish I could join you all! :-(