Thursday, January 04, 2007

Daffodils in January

I know it's been a warmer winter than usual. Usually my daffodils are just peeking out on January 1st, their green shoots barely above the surface. But this year, by mid-December, they were already four inches tall and growing! Today, as I walked to the mailbox and glanced toward my neighbor's front yard, I discovered this...

Toooo much! Don't these flowers know it's suicidal to bloom so early!

Nevertheless, I enjoyed their crazy "winter" beauty. I hope some of mine will hold off for a little while at least. I'm not ready for spring. We still need a good snowfall so we can careen off the road as we rush to the store for milk and bread. Ah, winter in the south.

3 comments:

Kelly said...

WOW! Don't tell your Williamstown friends. Mom and Dad report that they haven't had any snow in their neck of the woods, though.

Beth said...

Erin says its warmer than usual in NY, too. Global warming?? If we were in Colorado, however...

Melanie said...

I heard on the news the other day that a lot of clothing stores have seen a major dip in winter clothing sales...well, maybe on the east coast. As Beth says, people in Colorado would beg to differ! I hope your neighbors will be able to enjoy their daffodil's beauty for at least a short time. It's bound to get colder!