Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Currently reading

My first book for the New Year was a Christmas gift. I am currently reading Elizabeth Prentiss: More Love to Thee by Sharon James. It is a well written biography of the woman who wrote the hymn, More Love to Thee. (hence the book's subtitle).

Elizabeth Prentiss was a pastor's wife, mother, and writer. She lived from 1818-1878 and in addition to the the hymn she wrote, she is most well known as the author of
Stepping Heavenward. She wrote a number of other lesser known books several of which have been reprinted in recent years. Another one I'd like to read is called The Home at Greylock. (We lived in the shadow of Mt. Greylock when we lived in Massachusetts). This book is described as "a masterpiece which explains the task of Christian parenting in story form." Seems like it would be a good book to accompany some of the more well known books on Christian parenting like Shepherding a Child's Heart.

Anyway, I'm just into Mrs. Prentiss's biography and so far love this woman's story as much as when I was first introduced to her through her letters and papers compiled by her husband George in a volume called More Love to Thee: The Life and Letters of Elizabeth Prentiss. This book was also a gift from Coty several years ago.

Here are a couple of quotes from the biography to whet your appetite, I hope:

"...there is not enough of real, true communion with God, not enough nearness to Him, not enough heart-searching before Him; and too much parade and bustle and noise in doing His work on earth."

"...there is nothing worth having apart from God; I feel this every day more and more and the fear of satisfying myself with something short of Him - this is my only anxiety. "

and after losing two children:
"One child and two green graves are mine
This is God's gift to me;
A bleeding, fainting, broken heart -
This is my gift to Thee."

Mrs. Prentiss is known for the way the difficulties and tragedies in her life equipped her to minister to others. She is a woman whose story is well worth reading.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

Did you know the girltalk blog is having their bookclub on this book right now?

It's interesting to read these quotes as I am reading Stepping Heavenward right now...I can hear her voice in the mother's words to her daughter in SH.

Beth said...

I had seen back in December that girltalk was doing the book but had forgotten. I'm loving getting reacquainted with EP after several years.