Tuesday, January 09, 2007

The Book Meme

I just got tagged by Kelly for the book meme. I didn't have a clue what that meant, so checked out her blog. Here's what the book meme is:
  1. Grab the book closest to you
  2. open to page 123, and go down to the fourth sentence
  3. post the text of the following 3 sentences on your blog
  4. Name the author and book title
  5. Tag 3 people to do the same
Well, just to my right on the shelf right beside my desk is a stack of 11 books! I won't list them all. Some of them are books that have been on my desk for awhile and I was setting aside to carry upstairs to my bookshelf. (I think that was a week ago!) The books that are staying downstairs are Valley of Vision, The Rare Jewel of Christian Contentment, Praying Backwards, Legacy of Faith, Encyclopedia of Bible Truths for Science and Math, The Peterkin Papers, Love that Lasts, and on top of the pile, my Bible.

Since The Rare Jewel of Christian Contentment by Jeremiah Burroughs is one of the two books in this pile I haven't read a bit of yet, I decided to check out page 123. Well, this book was written by a Puritan so the sentences are long! I had to read down the page a ways to find the fourth sentence. Here's what follows:

"That is, when all shall be in a hubbub and uproar, yet then this man shall be peace. That is the trial of grace, when you find Jesus Christ to be peace in your hearts when the Assyrian shall come into the land. You may think you find peace in Christ when you have no outward troubles, but is Christ your peace when the Assyrian comes into the land, when the enemy comes?"

Good question to ask myself! I'm looking forward to reading the previous pages and those that follow with Coty in the next couple of months.

Thanks for tagging me, Kelly. I had a good time checking out page 123 in several of the books in the stack. Now I tag Jessica, Jenn, and Amber!

3 comments:

Kelly said...

Beth, your book choice made me chuckle because it brought back a memory from a women's retreat I once attended. Elyse Fitzpatrick was the speaker, and she was speaking on contentment. Burrough's book was one of her sources, and she mentioned that she was using the "dumbed down" version. I think it was entitled, "How to be Happy."

What a letdown from that beautiful original title, right?

Beth said...

The original title is really beautiful, isn't it. That's a pretty dumbed down title all right!

Jen Unsell said...

Hi Beth,
I just posted my Book MeMe today on our blog. That was fun! Thanks for tagging me.
~Jen