Friday, December 29, 2006

Thinking about reading

I am in the process of making my 2007 reading list. So far my list includes books I've wanted to read for a long time but have never gotten around to:
A Quest for Godliness: The Puritan Vision of the Christian Life
by J.I. Packer
Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky

books that are new to me this year:
Legacy of Faith: From Women of the Bible to Women of Today by Lydia Brownback
Elizabeth Prentiss: More Love to Thee by Sharon James
Love That Lasts by Gary & Betsy Ricucci

a novel recently recommended to me by my friend, Lori:
Israel, My Beloved by Kaye Arthur

a book on the Middle East recommended to me by Jonathan:
From Beirut to Jerusalem by Thomas Friedman

mysteries I've read before by Dorothy Sayers and some I haven't by Agatha Christie
a gardening book
portions of the Bible in French
and something for fun.

Of course, there will be many homeschool read-alouds with the boys, mostly American literature this year. And we always have our morning read-alouds with Coty. The next book on the agenda for our mornings is No Shortcuts to the Top:Climbing the World's 14 Highest Peaks by Ed Viesturs.

What are your favorites? What are you planning to read this year? I'm open to suggestions!

3 comments:

Amber Benton said...

Do read Israel, My Beloved!! I would aso recommend reading The Robe by Lloyd Douglas around Easter. I think I would like to read some more Elizabeth Goudge. This year I read The Little White Horse outloud to the boys, and I read Green Dolphin Street. I would also like to read the rest of Jane Austen's books - I've only read P&P and Emma. I would also like to read a couple more of the Robin Paige mysteries. She has a whole series on Beatrix Potter that I'd like to sit in the sun on a blanket and read. And that's my just for fun books.

Kelly said...

I am so glad that you posted on this because I've been mulling it over for the past few days as well...I've delayed commenting because I wanted to think some more! I am in the middle of Stepping Heavenward right now, which I love...I am going to try to read once a week from a book called Mothers of the Wise and Good, which is an old collection of portraits of godly mothers. My husband is hounding me to read The Hobbit since he just finished it. I suppose I should break down and read Blue Like Jazz (so cliche...ugh). ;-)

ed elliott said...

HEY BETH,

I spent a couple hours on Jan 2nd with notebook in hand going through most of my books. I had many books and Internet printouts I had wanted to read last year rattling around in my busy head the past 6 months. I don't want to waste time on lesser fare or lose time frittering from one book to another, so I ruthlessly sorted out wanted i wanted to read in 2007. I was surprised to end up with 23 books and 3 Internet printouts. First up: ELIJAH, by A.W. Pink and a precious printout (i'm just naturally alliterative) of THE UNSEARCHABLE RICHES OF CHRIST by Puritan Thomas Brooks. Thank God for rich reading that takes the sting out of decades of unfulfilling work.