Friday, December 01, 2006

It's Russian tea day

When my boys come downstairs this morning, they will put the tea kettle on the stove in eager anticipation of the first Russian tea of the Christmas season. This hot drink is one I grew up drinking, and it has become a family tradition to make it each year at this season. We begin drinking it on December 1st. (I've had to limit the boys to one cup a day or I'd go broke buying Tang). I make it all through the Christmas season but once it runs out in January, that's it until December again.

So, if you'd like to join us in our yearly Russian tea tradition, here's the recipe. But be forewarned...this is not a health food drink. It's purely for the taste and the delight of breathing in the fragrance of orange, cloves, and cinnamon that we drink it. It has a flavor and aroma that for us say, "Christmas is coming!"

2 1/2 cups sugar
2 cups Tang
6 oz. powdered lemonade mix
1/2 cup instant tea (plain, not the sugar and lemon kind)
2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 teaspoons cloves

It takes a couple of heaping spoonfuls for a mug. Stir well and enjoy, but don't drink it to the last drop or you'll get the undissolved cinnamon and cloves at the bottom!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

mmmmm...hope you are all enjoying it!

Beth said...

I haven't had my first cup yet, but plan to when we get back from Andrew's concert tonight.

Anonymous said...

Beth,

Your recipe is different from mine! I'll have to look mine over again, but I know it doesn't have the lemon mix. I'll have to try your version, because with that extra mix in maybe it will go further!

Melanie said...

I knew I was mising something! I made this a few weeks ago and left out the tea. It was still good, but not the same as the way my mom used to make it. I'll have to try again! Thanks for posting the recipe. I have many memories of drinking Russian tea that my mom used to make over Christmas when we were kids.

It was good to see you yesterday. I'm looking forward to spending a little more time with you over Christmas!!!

Jen Unsell said...

I first had Russian tea in Alabama. A friend introduced me to it.